Wednesday 5 August 2015

ADSL Microfilter Always First

Since the beginning of time, well since I've had ADSL Broadband connection perhaps would be a better way to describe the timeline here, I've had on my computer desk all my related computer goodies over one side of the room and the phone socket, bringing the wonderful world of the Internet into the house over the other side of the room.

Before the days of broadband, yes there was such a time, I've had my modem, which later was upgraded to a router, sitting proudly on my desk, working as should streaming the Internet originally to my desktop computer, then as time progressed multiple devices, such as smart phones, tablets, wireless printers, internet radios etc. Throughout this time, and due to the distance from phone wall socket and computer desk I've always had a length of phone cable running from said wall socket to my desk, then came a splitter with cables to modem and telephone.

On installation of broadband a ADSL Microfilter had to be introduced into the equation. Now I'm well aware that the rules say Microfilter should always be first thing out of phone wall socket but the length of cables supplied with router and phone made this difficult to implement, especially with the added complication of wires around the room, carefully installed by yours truly. But despite the strongly worded warnings from various authorities my installation has worked well for what must be close to ten years, perhaps even longer.

But beware rule breakers always get found out, and my time of being exposed were very close to hand. Don't ask me why, because I am certainly unaware of the cause, but during a period of about seven days or so my broadband connection became what can only be described as intermittent, with the connection often failing and the dreaded amber light flashing attempting to re-establish connection.

After carrying out the recommended actions of checking everything connected and resetting router by switching off and switching back on, an often miracle way to get most computerised gadgets back into a working condition, but not in this instance, it was decided to phone the help desk at Sky and perhaps get a new router to replace my, assumed to be, faulty router.

"Not necessarily your router" was the news given to me by the Sky advisor. A line test was carried out, which showed that there was an intermittent fault with the broadband, this was followed by a barrage of questions about the installation, which of course revealed the fact of the cable from phone socket to the Microfilter. "Looks to me that could be your problem", came the words of wisdom. "Just get the Microfilter and plug it direct into the phone socket, then plug in the router", came the recommendation. "I'll hang on while you do it and we'll see if that works".

I was certain that this was not going to achieve the desired result, as the current configuration, as I said before, had been working well for many a year. But if we were to progress further I had to do what was being suggested. Much frantic moving of furniture and cables proceeded. But the task ahead was too mammoth to carry out in a rush. Apologies and thanks were made to the Sky advisor, as I explained I need time to carry out this task and that I will contact them again if after carrying out recommendations problems continued.

Seven hours later, and much movement of furniture and boxes of gramophone records and books and clothes and other clutter the long cable had been removed from the system, the router was now on the opposite side of the room on it's own little table, with Microfilter direct into wall socket with router and other items immediately after this.

And would you believe three days later, as I write this blog, the system is functioning without a hitch. But why did it go wrong in the first place after working well for so many years. One of the great mysteries of our time.

The moral of this tale, quite simple really, the ADSL Microfilter always comes first.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment