Sunday 24 September 2017

Gudak - A New Old Camera App

I'm always on the look out for new and different apps. Apps that do things differently, or perhaps an app based on an old idea and made to work on today's modern technology. One such app that's been brought to my attention is Gudak, which is a make on Kodak, the famous camera company. 


Remember the days of popping down to the chemist to get a roll of film for your camera. This film allowed you to take 12 or possibly 24 snaps which when all taken would require you to return the film to the chemist for developing. A few days later your snaps could be collected and then for the first time be viewed as the chemist handed you the snaps on paper.


Some snaps you thought would come out to be a masterpiece disappoint as the intended subject was too far away or the lighting conditions were too dark or too light. It was certainly a skill in those days to get your photo just right, there was no previewing the photo and seeing it wasn't quite right and taking it again, as you didn't see the photo until sometimes weeks or even months after it was taken.


Don't you just long to take a trip down memory lane and sample, this, what may seem an archaic method of photography. Well, Gudak allows just this, from the small viewfinder, so you can't see a massive sample of what you're going to snap, to the fact you can't view any of your snaps until of have taken all 24 photos, and even then not until you've had them deleloped. Remember I told you about having to wait a few days whilst your photos were being developed, well even that 'feature' is provided, as on taking your 24th snap you hit the develop button and have to wait 3 days before being able to view your snaps.


On taking each picture you hear the sound of your camera supposedly rolling the next part of the film in place to take the next snap. Wouldn't it be fun if this 'rolling the film on' could be a manual process, so introducing the possibity of accidentally forgetting to 'roll on' and having a double exposure on your snap. Have you not done that before with your old style camera.


I can't tell what the photos I've taken are like, as I've only taken 5 photos so far of my film.


oooooOOOOOOooooo


I wrote the above a few weeks ago, three days ago I took my 24th snap and took my virtual film down to the virtual chemist for developing. I've just been down the virtual chemist, paid my virtual 12 shillings and sixpence, and am ready to view the snaps.


hhh

First image, a banana


Second image, a selfie. Scrictly speaking selfies are not permitted, or perhaps I should say they haven't really been invented. As in the tradition of old style cameras Gudak only has a camera at the front, so to take this photograph I had to turn the camera around before hitting the snap button

The stapler used at my work place

A very welcome mug of coffee after arriving home following a hard days work

The world famous Benji dog, on his settee

A better photo of Benji dog

A beautiful tree taken during a Benji dog walking session

One of the lions that protects our house

A hanging plant thing (made of plastic) that hangs by our front door, not too far from the lion

All distinguished front gardens have a cement mixer placed by the wheelie bins, somehow we managed to have one as well

Flowers in our kitchen, changed every other week. Lovely display

A white rose, that sits on the dining table

Another photo of dear Benji dog, think he's been shopping with all those carrier bags around him

"Me Shopping", said Benji. "I've got more important things to do"

"Like chasing after this spider"

Benji has removed spider from the premises and is now waiting for his dinner

Oh dear, the lighting conditions where not right for this photograph

At work, this is the laptop assigned to do all the administrative work

One of my many tasks is to ensure we keep a sufficient stock of kitchen rolls

Really no idea, who this doggie is

Greatest rock band ever, with a few guest artists. All playing in a concert outside young nephew's house

An early morning photograph during a Benji dog walk. I call this road, the road of many trees, for obvious reasons

A letter box, flowers in bloom and many beautiful trees in that road of many trees

Final photo in this batch of 24. This is one of Benji dog's favourite toys

I guess you're either going to love or hate this app. Perhaps those of us that remember the days of purchasing a film, taking snaps with all the various restrictions I've already detailed, then having to wait to have film developed before seeing the snaps, will be most attracted. The generation that has never seen a camera that requires a film to be placed within will quite probably dismiss the app as total nonsense.

My opinion, it's quite a clever little app, not sure if I'll take the time to take another 24 snaps, if I do it will be over a very long period of time. The first camera I ever had produced black and white photographs, I wonder whether the photos Gudak produces should be only black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment